Documents required for the Dual Citizenship
1. Applicant’s original Birth Certificate or a certified copy of it. (See note 01)
(If the applicant is a citizen of Sri Lanka by registration, the relevant certificate or a copy of it.)
2. If the applicant is married, the marriage certificate or a certified copy of it. (See note 01)
3. A letter issued by the Government of Norway/Finland confirming that they have no any objection to have other citizenship in addition to the Norwegian/Finnish citizenship.
4. A recent Police clearance report from the country of foreign citizenship not older than 3 months (applicant above 16 years should submit the police report) ; (This document must be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Country of issued)
5. An applicant submitting application for Resumption under section 19(2) (A person whose Sri Lankan Citizenship ceased due to obtaining of citizenship in another country) should submit following documents :-
(a) Certified copy of foreign Citizenship Certificate (This document must be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Country of issued) ; (See note 01)
(b) Certified copy of Bio data page and observation page of the Foreign passport (Original Passport must produce to the Embassy) ; (See note 01)
(c) Certified copy of Bio data page and observation page of the previous Sri Lankan passport (if available) (See note 01)
6. An applicant submitting application for Retention under section 19(3) (A person who is having desire to obtain citizenship in another country, while intends to retain the citizenship of Sri Lanka) should submit following documents,
(a) Certified copy of Bio data page and the observation page of the current Sri Lankan passport. (Original Passport must produce to the Embassy) ; (See note 01)
(b) Certified copy of permanent residence visa. (Original Visa document/Card must produce to the Embassy) ; (See note 01)
1. If applying under age category (1.A) original birth certificate or certified copy of it. (See note 01)
2. If applying under Professional category (1.B) applicant’s Educational / Professional certificates or a certified copy of it. (minimum one year diploma or higher, or any other professional qualification.) (See note 01)
3. If applying under the Assets / Properties category (1.C) original documentary proof of applicant’s assets such as; land or other immovable properties in Sri Lanka worth of Rs. 2.5 million or above a certified copy of deed, original valuation report and title repot with pedigree for the same not older than 3 months should be also submitted.
4. If applying under Fixed Deposit of Rs. 2.5 million or above category (1.D) a confirmation letter from the bank mentioning deposit will be hold for a period for 3 years for obtaining dual citizenship.
5. If applying under Fixed deposit of USD 25,000 or above – category (1.E) a confirmation letter from the bank mentioning deposit will be hold for period of 3 years for obtaining dual citizenship.
6. If applying under Treasury Bond (TB) or Security Investment Account (SIA) valued of USD 25,000 for minimum 3 years period – category (1.F) a certificate from the relevant Authority conforming the investment will not be withdrawn prior to maturity for obtaining dual citizenship.
7. Following documents should be submitted if applying under the spouse of the applicant or an unmarried child under the age of 22 years of the applicant (Category 1.G) who has completed any qualification from A to F indicated in No 1 of the application.
- The original of the Marriage Certificate of the spouse or a certified copy thereof. (See note No. 1)
- Unmarried child under the age of 22 years
If the child is born in Sri Lanka, the original of the Birth Certificate or a certified copy thereof. (See note No. 1)
If the child is born outside Sri Lanka, the Citizenship Certificate or a copy thereof issued under section 5(2) of Citizenship Act. (See note No. 1)
- Sri Lankan passports of the parents and visa of the other country should be submitted.
* Applications should be submitted prior to completion of the age of 21 years and 06 months.
* If his/her age is more than 22 years at the time of making payments he/she should submit applications again under other category (1A-1F)
* Applications of the applicants who have completed the age of 21 years and 06 months will not be entertained under this category with effect from 01.07.2019.
A spouse or children eligible under this category shall be limited to a person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased under section 19,20 or 21of the Citizenship Act No 18 of 1948 or a person whose Sri Lankan citizenship is likely to cease.
01. Documents could only be certified by the Deputy/ Assistant Controller (Citizenship) of the Department of Immigration and Emigration or by the Senior Officer of Sri Lanka Overseas Mission in rank not less than of Third Secretary.
02. Translated documents are not considered as the Original documents. (Eg: English Translation of Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Police Reports. etc)
03. The duly perfected applications should be submitted to the Department of Immigration and Emigration or to the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Oslo, Norway by the applicant.
04. All the documents other than in English, Sinhala or Tamil should be submitted along with the English translation.
05. Any Document / Certificate issued by Foreign Government or Institution must be attested from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the relevant country and then those must attested from the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Oslo, Norway.