ALTERNATIONS AND ENDORSEMENTS IN PASSPORTS
The Embassy will accept applications for alternations and endorsements in passports in the following occasions.
1. When the applicant needs to change the surname after marriage
2. When the applicant has already changed the first name, middle name or surname in the Birth Certificate and needs to endorse the new name in current passport.
3. When the applicant needs to include the NIC number
4. When the applicant needs to include the profession
The following documents are required.
1. Duly filled application Form O
If the applicant is unable to visit the Embassy to submit the application, his/her signature must be attested by a Government registered Notary Public/Justice of Peace/Attorney-at-Law/Solicitor or Honorary Consul General for Sri Lanka (Finland and Iceland). The attester should be signed and place the stamp and date on the application.
2. Original Passport
evidence to prove the accuracy of the alteration or amendment
- - Original Marriage Certificate (when the applicant needs to change the surname after marriage)
- If the marriage has been registered outside Sri Lanka, the Marriage Certificate should be countersigned by the relevant authorities. (Eg: If the Marriage has been registered in Norway, the Marriage Certificate; English version should be countersigned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Norway)
- - Passport of the spouse (when the applicant needs to change the surname after marriage)
- - Original NIC (when the applicant needs to include the NIC number)
- - A letter from the employer of a certificate to prove the profession (When the applicant needs to include the profession)
4. Original Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar General's Department of Sri Lanka
5. Valid Residence Permit/Visa issued by the Norwegian/Finnish/Icelandic authorities
Please note that the Embassy does not accept applications to make any changes in Birth Certificates. Applicants are advised to contact the Registrar General's Department of Sri Lanka in such occasions.