Issuance of Residence Visa
1. Residence visas to Sri Lanka are only issued in Colombo by the Controller General, Immigration and Emigration.
2. Therefore, applications should be made directly to the Controller General, Immigration and Emigration, Colombo.
3. To obtain a Residence visa, it is necessary to arrive in Sri Lanka on an entry visa issued by the Mission with the concurrence of the Controller General, Immigration and Emigration, Colombo. The Entry Visa should be applied from the Department of Immigration and Emigration directly by the Sri Lankan Organization.
4. Once the approval is received from the Controller General, Immigration and Emigration, Colombo, the applicant should apply for entry visa through the Embassy.
Please note that visit visas issued to tourists will not be considered for conversion to Residence visas.
For further information, please visit the website of the Controller General, Immigration and Emigration, Colombo. www.immigration.gov.lk
Categories which come under Residence Visa
1. Employment Category
Project Professional personnel whose services are required for projects approved by the state and expatriate personnel employed in projects under Board of Investment (BOI) of Sri Lanka and their dependants
Personnel employed at banks and their dependants
Personnel attached to Non-Governmental Organizations
Personnel employed in a project, institution or organization under diplomatic missions in Sri Lanka
Personnel employed in a private company and their dependants
2. Investor Category
Who desire to invest monetary capital in Sri Lanka
Who engage in business activities in Sri Lanka.
3. Religious Category
Members of the Clergy
4. Student Category
Students in Educational Institutions approved by the State
5. Registered Indians covered by the 1954 Indo-Lanka Agreement.
6. Ex- Sri Lankans and their dependants
7. Family Members of a Sri Lankan
Children holding foreign nationality.
8. My Dream Home Visa Programme
9. Resident Guest Visa Programme
10. Diplomatic and Official visa
Diplomatic and Official passport holders are requested to contact the Embassy directly to be advised on the visa requirements in respect to their country.